AND there is a bonus! In making the fruit bars I used up 5 half full jam jars from the refrigerator. I did one pan of cranberry/pear/peach/scuppernog bars (delish BTW) and one pan of lime curd (also yummy just not as weird). Did I mention that I am a canning addict? I am. I have what seems like a thousand jars of jam that I made in 2010. Spring is around the corner and before I know it it will be time to pick strawberries which means MORE JAM. So I plan to make a pan of these a week and try to reduce the number of jars in my larder to make room for the new ones.
These are from www.CarriesCooking.com:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup apple juice
10 ounces jam (apricot, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, or apple butter)
1 tablespoon water
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the oil, egg, vanilla, and apple juice, and mix with a spoon or a mixer.
- Press 2/3 of the mix evenly into a greased 8x12 pan.
- Mix the jam with the water, and spread evenly over the mix.
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top, and bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Before cutting, cool completely.