Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brussels Sprouts

This was my first winter garden to include brussels sprouts. I have to be honest, I had no idea what they were supposed to do or when to harvest. Just like everything else, it was an experiment. I had kind of given up on them. Every time I went to the garden for some cabbage or kale I would check them out. It really didn't seem like much was happening. I have seen them at the grocery on the stalk and for some reason I kept expecting that stalk to grow out of the top. Last night I bent over to pick a savoy cabbage head and I happened to look over at the brussels sprouts. I finally spotted those cute little guys growing UNDER the leaves, duh. I was very excited. I just pan fried them with a little butter, thinly sliced onions and some pink salt. This week end I making Iron Chef Michael Symon's Fried Brussels Sprouts (I oven roast them).

I know everyone says they hate brussels sprouts, but I promise, you don't. Every one thinks of the frozen mushy brussels sprouts. Please do yourself a favor and buy some fresh ones. Try Michael Symon's recipe and fall in love with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment