Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dark Days #I'mSoBehindI'veLostCount- French Onion Soup

I am really behind on writing an cooking. I am sure you are sick of hearing me belly ache about it. I think I am not alone, however. It seems that everyone is having a hard time getting it in gear right now. February will be better. I will be so inspired that the posts will practically write themselves.

French Onion Soup
3 tbsp olive oil-exempt
3 tbsp salted butter-exempt
5 onions, sliced thin- from my garden
1 tsp of salt- exempt
2 tbsp red wine-North GA
1/4 tsp dried thyme- from my garden
2 cloves of garlic, minced- from my garden
6 cups of venison stock (of course, beef stock is usually used)-made from local deer (vegetarian option is to use vegetable stock)
1 cup shredded Calamata Sunshine Cheese from Greendale Farm
Homemade bran bread sliced and toasted

Melt butter in bottom of large pot, add olive oil, heat on medium. Add sliced onions and minced garlic, cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until onions caramelize. Add salt, red wine, and thyme, mix t combine. Pour in stock, simmer on medium low to low for 1 hour. Serve with toasted bread floating in soup and cover with shredded cheese. Put under broiler for about 30 seconds to melt cheese.

**Helpful Hint- my friend who is a chef in Miami told me that if you add the salt before the onions are caramelized that they won't caramelize.

1 comment:

  1. more than you probably want to know about caramelizing onions: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/01/the-food-lab-real-french-onion-dip-homemade-super-bowl-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete