Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, November 15, 2010

Creating a California Cheese Course

I recently had the privilege of having a an amazing dinner  hosted by the California Milk Advisory Board at Galletto Ristorante in Modesto, CA with some other interesting mom bloggers. We enjoyed a fabulous presentation by Juliana Uruburu, a cheese monger from The Pasta Shop in Oakland, CA. I want to be Juliana's friend. She knows so much about cheese and is just so passionate about it that I want to be a cheese monger too. She talked about entertaining and creating cheese pairings. Here are some of Juliana's tips when planning a party or get together and serving cheese:
027
004
  • Serving Suggestions: 1 oz of cheese per person if it is part of a cheese course, 2 oz per person if it is part of a buffet, 3 oz per person if there is no other food
  • How to choose: Geographical, color/shape/texture, theme
  • When to serve different types of cheese: Before meal- lighter fare paired with fresh savory accompaniments, As the meal- palate cleanser, ingredient or course (fondue/salad/soup/gratin), After the meal- more complex aged cheeses paired with sweet accompaniments
  • Serving: create vignettes or pairing stations that encourage socializing, individual servings on a plate, or a platter to be passed
006
Juliana shared with us TWELVE, yes, as in 1-2, TWELVE different and unbelievably good California cheeses. My favorites were the Point Reyes Original Blue paired with ginger snaps and figs and the Marin French Double Brie with honey comb. I believe I may have been in a cheese coma after this presentation. But as I told my friend, this was truly my last supper fantasy dinner of cheese.

All photos courtesy of one of the fabulous bloggers I met on this trip, Tonya Staab.

The views expressed in this post are my own honest and fair opinions and this post was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. The manufacturer and/or agent working on their behalf did one or more of the following: presented me with swag and/or products, paid my travel expenses, and paid for my meals.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. And those 12 cheeses were amazing. The night we got home, I made a pear & gorgonzola tart for an event and almost couldn't eat it because I was so cheesed out :). Wasn't that honeycomb heavenly. I need to find out where I can buy it just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you kept your head and whittled down all our the cheese into these easy to follow tips. What an amazing night. Great post!

    ReplyDelete