Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dandelion Jelly

There is one thing I have no shortage of- dandelions. Everywhere. A few years ago after sharing my corn cobb jelly with my neighbor, Miss Mary, she brought me a dandelion jelly recipe. She said she knew I liked the strange ones and thought this would be right up my alley. My sweet neighbor was right. The jelly is bright, floral and delicate.

A little side note on Miss Mary- she is 89 years old, walks 1 mile every day, volunteers for Meals on Wheels taking food to as she says "old folks", gardens and bakes, goes to church every Wednesday and all day Sunday, won't eat white flour, and swears by natural herbal supplements to keep her healthy. One day she called me and asked me to bring my camera. When I got there she wanted me to take a picture of a sweet potato that was larger than a 1 gallon paint can. Impressive.

Dandelion petals and water

Dandelion Jelly
One quart of dandelion flowers, with stems and green part removed
2 quarts water
Juice of one medium lemon
Zest of one medium lemon
1 pkg no sugar needed powdered pectin
4 cups sugar

Rinse dandelions, boil petals in water for 3 minutes or longer for darker color, cool and strain retaining the tea, add lemon juice, zest and pectin, stir to combine, bring to boil, add sugar, continuing to stir until starts to thicken, pour in sterilized jars, seal and process for 5 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. What beautiful color! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what do you use dandelion jelly on? Is it a toast kind of jelly or something that you would use in cooking? Can you describe the taste? I am very curious :) It does look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eating it on crackers, toast, pbj sandwiches. It is floral, sweet, tiny bit tart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone made it with just using stevia for a sweetner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister's name is Dandelion, guess what she's getting for her birthday??? This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not made it with Stevia. let me know how it turns out.

    @Saffron- Love it!! I hope she does too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long does it take after adding sugar? Does the jelly sometimes take a long time to set? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I picked a lot of dandelions and am trying to decide which recipe to use. Some of the recipes say to boil the quart of dandelions in two quarts of water, then only use three cups of liquid in the recipe. Do you use the total of 8 cups of liquid with only one pkg of pectin?

    If so, I like how your recipe has half the amount of sugar to dandelion water. Most recipes have more sugar than water which is so un-healthy! Is it still fairly sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made fireweed jam with stevia and it was very bitter (I liked it) and did not preserve for long, especially after opening. Do small jars and a small batch to prevent waste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister's name is Dandelion, guess what she's getting for her birthday.Shadani India Private Limited

    ReplyDelete