Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Let's Catch Up

The kids and I took off in the car and drove from Athens, GA to Virginia Beach, VA (more specifically, Sandbridge) two weeks ago to visit some friends. We had a wonderful time and our hosts were so generous. We also took a side trip to DC to the Museum of Natural History. The highlight of the day for the boys was buying ice cream from a street vendor and then buying a Barack Obama t-shirt from the one next to the ice cream truck (I swear I did not suggest the tshirt buying at all- It was something they insisted on). Then we went to see the White House, from the sidewalk. I was so impressed that you can see the White House garden from the street.



We left VA on Thursday. Then we got the daddy and drove to Tybee Island, GA for the 1st annual Death Ray Solar Cookout and Party of World Domination. A friend of my husband has built a solar grill from a recycled satellite dish and precisely cut mirror tiles that he calls The Death Ray. He has been cooking on it for a while but decided to introduce it to his friends and the rest of Tybee Island by having a beachside cookout. He cooked hamburger sliders and everyone brought sides of pasta and fruit salad.  The Death Ray is really amazing. He says at the focus he has measured the temperature at 1300 degrees!



The morning after the cookout we went out with another friend in his boat to fish in the sound. My oldest caught the first fish of the morning, a bonnet head shark. Soon after the little one caught an Atlantic Sharp Nose shark. I "caught" a stringray. Holy Cow! That was so hard. After trying hard to land it I surrendered the rod to my husband who was able to pull it up to the surface with a fight. We didn't keep any of our catch but released them all unharmed. My oldest is still calling friends and relatives to brag about his shark.


We had a wonderful week and it has taken me a week to recover.


No comments:

Post a Comment